AA NA CA 12 Step Meetings & Anonymous Support Groups › Forums › Newcomers to Recovery › If you are feeling suicidal please read:
This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous 9 years, 2 months ago.
- July 4, 2013 at 6:51 pm #3698485
Given the recent upsurge in people either admitting to a suicide attempt or feeling very suicidal can I just remind people that, although we care and will try to help if we can, the best option is to contact a doctor, psychiatrist, crisis support line or go to your local hospital for assistance.
I know it is difficult when you are this low but please do use the services available for you when you are at crisis point. We have many members struggling with depression and posts that discuss suicide can be a trigger for others. We will remove posts at our discretion for this reason. Please do not take this as rejection. It is our way of protecting everyone here. Please feel free to send a private message to a moderator for additional assistance.
Read this first …If you are feeling suicidal now, please stop long enough to read this.
Keep Reading A reason… to live or to die.
A little more reading Give yourself today
How serious is our condition? …“he only took 15 pills, he wasn’t really serious…” if others are making you feel like you’re just trying to get attention… read this.
Why is it so hard for us to recover from being suicidal? …while most suicidal people recover and go on, others struggle with suicidal thoughts and feelings for months or even years. Suicide and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Recovery from grief and loss …has anyone significant in your life recently died? You would be in good company… many suicidal people have recently suffered a loss.
The stigma of suicide that prevents suicidal people from recovering: we are not only fighting our own pain, but the pain that others inflict on us… and that we ourselves add to. Stigma is a huge complicating factor in suicidal feelings.
Resources about depression …if you are suicidal, you are most likely experiencing some form of depression. This is good news, because depression can be treated, helping you feel better.
Other online sources of help:
- The Samaritans – trained volunteers are available 24 hours a day to listen and provide emotional support. You can call a volunteer on the phone, or e-mail them. Confidential and non-judgmental. Short of writing to a psychotherapist, the best source of online help.
- Talk to a therapist online – Read this page to find out how.
- Depression support group online:
Walkers in Darkness – Please note: this is a very big group, but amidst all the chatter (and occasional bickering), it is possible to find someone who will hear you and offer support.
- Psych Central has a good listing of online resources for suicide and other mental health needs.
- Still feel bad? These jokes might relieve the pressure for a minute or two.
- If you want help finding a human being to talk with in person, who can help you live through this, try reading this article about how to Choose a Competent Counselor.
Sometimes people need additional private help before they are ready to talk with someone in person. Here are three books you could read on your own in private. I know from personal experience that each one has helped someone like you.
July 4, 2013 at 6:51 pm #4196005
- Suicide: The Forever Decision by Paul G. Quinnett, PhD (Continuum, 1989, ISBN 0-8264-0391-3). Frank and helpful conversation with a therapist who cares. Order the book
- Choosing to Live: how to defeat suicide through cognitive therapy by Thomas E. Ellis PsyD and Cory F. Newman PhD (New Harbinger Publications, 1996, ISBN 1-57224-056-3). Another conversational book with practical help for suicidal persons. Order the book
- How I Stayed Alive When My Brain Was Trying to Kill Me: One Person’s Guide to Suicide Prevention by Susan Rose Blauner (William Morrow, 2002, ISBN 0066211212). A very practical survival guide by an actual survivor. Order the book
Soberrecovery is a forum for those recovering from alcohol and substance abuse addictions and help for family and friends whos lives have been affected by someone else’s addiction. Although we care about everyone and all the issues our members struggle with we feel that some topics can cause damage to those who are trying to recover on our forums. Posts with serious suicide threats, details of sexual abuse, and details of sexual addiction are many times too much of a trigger for some of our members and can trigger a relapse in recovery. General discussions are welcome.
We will remove posts at our discretion that contain triggering content. Please do not take this as rejection. It is our way of protecting everyone here. If you are in crisis please call your physician, visit a hospital emergency room of call a hotline.
USA NATIONAL Suicide & Crisis Hotlines – When You Feel You Can’t Go On… Call a Suicide Hotline. / SuicideHotlines.com – Direction for immediate crisis intervention for the gravely suicidal & treatment for major clinical suicidal depression.
We can’t be all things to all people, but we want you to find the help you need. I found support forums that address these issues and would like to post the links. I have not read the recent posts on these forums so please join with caution after researching the sites yourself.
Pandora’s Aquarium, an online support group, message board, and chat room for survivors rape, sexual assault, and sexual abuse.
Suicide Forum – A support forum for people in crisis
bus web board-recovery for self abuse
Sex Addicts AnonymousApril 22, 2016 at 11:26 pm #4196006
Numbers to call (USA)
USA National Suicide Hotlines
Toll-Free / 24 hours / 7 days a week
1-800-SUICIDE / 1-800-784-2433
1-800-273-TALK / 1-800-273-8255
TTY: 1-800-799-4TTY (4889)
Or, call 911 and ask for help. Tell them you are in suicidal danger.
links to international numbers
Suicide Hotlines – Suicide.org! Suicide Hotlines – Suicide.org! Suicide Hotlines – Suicide.org!
We work worldwide to provide emotional support, and reduce suicide. We listen to people who are in distress. We don’t judge them or tell them what to do – we listen.
The topic ‘If you are feeling suicidal please read:’ is closed to new replies.