This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Anonymous 9 years, 1 month ago.
- December 23, 2013 at 8:19 pm #3698573
Step Twelve ~ Part 1: Questions
“Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholic and to practice these principles in all our affairs.”
Some thoughts to ponder:
1. Why does Step 12 make it clear that we will have a *spiritual* awakening?
2. What was your first spiritual awareness?
3. “I find it interesting that the step says “had.” This implies that my spiritual awakening was a one-shot deal, never to be repeated.” What do you think about that statement? Do you agree, disagree?
4. What do you hope to experience when *you* spiritually awaken?December 23, 2013 at 8:19 pm #4197346
Step Twelve ~ Part 2: Questions
“Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics and to practice these principles in all our affairs.”
Some thoughts for consideration:
1. Step 12 talks about “the message.” What do you think the message is?
2. Were you 12th Stepped? How did you respond?
3. Have you tried to 12th Step someone? What was your experience?
4. How do you “carry the message?”January 4, 2015 at 3:32 am #4197349
This isn’t just any old “Spiritual Awakening” This one comes as a result of these steps. Therefore it shouldn’t be confused with your average spiritual awakening.
For instance; if I was at the golf course and lightning struck the tree I was standing next to, I would have a spiritual awakening of sorts. I would think that God had hit that tree instead of me for a reason. Then I would have a drink.
In the book a “Spiritual Awakening” indicates that “A personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism has manifested itself among us in many different forms“.
#3 Having “Had” instead of “having” to me would be the difference between Recovered and Recovering. It either is or it isn’t
#4 What do I hope to experience. I believe it’s the reference given in the book that I want. It has happened and others pointed it out to me before I noticed it myself.
Second part! #1 The message? The 12 steps are the message. I carry the message in meetings.
All Big Book quotes are from the First Edition of the Big Book
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.