Staff Training Policies and Procedures
Establishing the following policies and procedures will ensure that new and incumbent staff are aware of the agency’s LGBT supportive stance on an ongoing basis.
• Ensure that all new employees are familiar with agency policies regarding hiring of and providing services to LGBT clients.
• As a part of regular staff training, include such topics as “LGBT cultures and communities.”
• Ensure that staff members are allowed to explore their fears and prejudices in a nonthreatening environment.
• Have up-to-date national and local listings of resources and services available within LGBT communities and have them in offices and waiting rooms for easy access by clients and staff members.
• Organize cross-training between local LGBT and community groups and your agency. Exchange information about substance abuse and recovery services for information about the LGBT community and its resources.